Saturday, April 13, 2013

2013's List of 20 Films I'm Embarrassed to Admit I Haven't Seen

     Since I am stuck at home this weekend with an on-call pager for work, I've been using the time to catch up on some movies that I haven't seen before.  I've watched "Cinema Paradiso" and "Avalon."  As a film buff, historic theatre lover, and person with an interest in projection, not seeing "Cinema Paradiso" was always considered a bit of a sin within my peer group.  As a Baltimore native, not seeing "Avalon" is pretty much a crime.  Long story short, everyone was right.  Both are great and I should have seen them sooner.

Photo Credit: "Cinema Paradiso" LionsGate/Miramax 1988


     This got me to thinking.  With all the films I've seen, there are many, many classic and new classic films that I haven't seen.  I should define that further by saying that there are many films I haven't seen that I'm embarrassed to admit I haven't seen.  Since the list is rather long, I'm going to break the films into groupings of twenty.  This is my first grouping and I would like to see them all by the end of 2013.  After seeing each film, I will report back to this blog.

2013's Twenty Movies I'm Embarrassed to Admit I Haven't Seen:

1.  Miracle on 34th Street (I've seen parts, but not the whole thing)

2.  Citizen Cane

3.  Casablanca

4.  2001: A Space Odyssey

5.  Breakfast at Tiffany's

6.  Blade Runner

7.  Full Metal Jacket

8.  The Maltese Falcon

9.  The Matrix

10. The Italian Job (original, not 2003 version)

11. Liberty Heights (Barry Levinson, Baltimore Film)

12. Diner (Barry Levinson, Baltimore Film)

13. Lawrence of Arabia

14. Ben Hur

15. Singin' in the Rain (I think I saw it as a very young child, but that doesn't count)

16. The French Connection

17. Mr. Smith Goes to Washington

18. The Grapes of Wrath

19. A Star is Born (1937 version)

20. The Third Man

(I'd also like to see John Water's "Cecil B. Demented" since it's another Baltimore film, but that one's not in my critical list for this year.)

No comments:

Post a Comment