Friday, March 8, 2013

STAR WARS: Episode VII, May the Lens Flare Be With You

Before I even get started with my thoughts on this topic for today, I'm going to warn my readers that this will probably be the first of many posts about Star Wars.  There may be another post tomorrow since we've just found out that certain aging stars will be returning for Episode VII.  There, I've said it, so you've been warned.  Now, on with the post.

When it was first announced that J.J. Abrams would be taking on the role of director for the newest Star Wars film, I wasn't happy.  I'm still not happy.  First, there's the mixing of Star Trek and Star Wars.  Can you really, honestly direct both?  Shouldn't there be a separation between both space worlds?  Isn't that a rule, or something?

I will be the first to admit that I don't know a lot about Star Trek.  I've seen several of the movies and enjoyed them.  I've watched some of the television shows and enjoyed them, as well.  I basically know the main characters.  Other than that, I'm more of a Star Wars, space opera, fan.  I understand why people like Star Trek, I just happen to prefer Star Wars.

 
The Star Trek and Star Wars worlds are very different.  I saw the last Star Trek film in the theatre; the one that J.J. Abrams directed.  Honestly, I can't remember the title of it.  It was entertaining, but what I remember more than anything was the atrocious, drunken abuse of anamorphic lens flare and a random lightsaber battle.  Holy crow, the lens flare...there was so much lens flare that it should have been listed in the credits with the actors as a leading role.

Lens flare can be an interesting technique when used sparingly and done well.  I think the most famous lens flare I can think of is Alfred Hitchcock's use of lens flare in the movie "Psycho."  At the end, there is a scene where actress Vira Miles bumps a light bulb hanging from the ceiling and there is a single, careful lens flare captured in the scene.  It's memorable.


J.J. Abrams, on the other hand, just doesn't know when to stop.  Every scene has lens flare, whether there's a noticable light source or not.  That might work for Star Trek movies, although I found it horribly distracting.  I also found it distracting in "Super 8."  I'm hoping that he doesn't go crazy with lens flare in Star Wars, but I seriously have my doubts.

I have a feeling we're going to be seeing something like this:



Photo Credit: http://cdn.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/credits-flare.jpg

and this:



Of course, time will tell.  I really, really hope J.J. proves me wrong and shows me that he knows how to do something other than capture anamorphic lens flare.  Until then,  I'm going to remain very skeptical.

1 comment:

  1. I hope the lens flare is kept to a minimum in the new Star Wars, over done is over done. Personally I can't wait for the new movie, but Luke, Leia and Hon back in the movie, not as ghost figures I hope, that was strange...

    ReplyDelete